Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2017

That's just the way the cookie crumbles

I had a Russian teacher one time asked me why I used this idiom "That's the way the cookie crumbles". I called her Russian because she insisted she was Russian and not Ukrainian. I didn't want to step on her toes and make her spend all of that money to redo her nails, so I left it at that.

Well, her actual response was "What cookie". I told her in my sarcastic voice, the cookies you made this morning. She was confused as she didn't understand my sense of humor. What I notice in Ukrainian mentality, is that if you try to be sarcastic, you're being arrogant, which means you're looking for competition with some people.

Picture a cookie. It crumbles. What does crumble mean? Well, how it goes into tiny pieces. It falls down, on, I hope the table and not your Babushka's floor. The way it crumbles is the way it is. It's just the way it was suppose to happen. So remember anytime someone says this idioms, it means it's the way something should happen, and that's it!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, i agree, many people do not know the idioms in English language. Like To be in other shoes- means to be in this or that person's situation, but not to be really in that person's SHOES. I hope i made myself clear )

    ReplyDelete